Every autumn I just want to wander through the woods in search of mushrooms. Even if you do not collect, but simply eat them, every mushroom picker will want to.
Well, if you start harvesting a forest beauty, then this process will bring great pleasure and benefit. Moreover, its huge thickets can be found in swamps, in coniferous and mixed forests, and in the tundra zone of Russia. Among wild berries, lingonberry ranks first in natural reserves. Its procurement is carried out centrally and in large volumes.
- Lingonberry appearance
- Industrial cultivation of lingonberries
- Growing lingonberries in a personal plot
"Bushes above the bump", decorated with glossy leaves and ruddy berries. Numerous legends about this plant exist among all peoples. And they are all told with love and respect for this not only beautiful, but also healing plant.
An evergreen small shrub belongs to the heather plant family. The main habitats are in northern latitudes. The shape of the bush can be straight and branched. Lingonberry roots penetrate to a soil depth of up to 20 cm and are located on a horizontal surface. This ensures easy reproduction of the shrub due to the proliferation of the root system.
For a long period of growth, plantations of a large area are formed in one place. The lingonberry wears its magnificent outfit twice. In July, the flowering period begins, during which the tops of the shoots are decorated with bells of a delicate pink color, collected in a brush. And only in autumn they are replaced by the same beautiful berries. You can pick the fruits at the stage a little unripe.
This is due to the ability of their final maturation during storage. Surprise is also the appearance of the lingonberry bush in early spring. The berries preserved over the winter look like small bullfinches against the background of incompletely melted snow. At the same time, the healing qualities of the berries are preserved, and their taste resembles soaked lingonberries prepared according to an old recipe.
Industrial cultivation of lingonberries
The first results of the development of this berry on an industrial scale are known from the works of the USA and Western Europe since the middle of the 19th century. Scientists from Sweden and Finland have developed a number of agrotechnical measures at the experimental site of the Pilot Station in Piikie. There are developments in the cultivation of lingonberries on trellises.
The main industrial production of lingonberry is located in Sweden, Finland, Germany, and the USA. Currently, about 20 varieties of lingonberry are known. Three of them were obtained in Russia. These are Ruby, Kostromichka and Kostroma pink. The research was carried out at the Kostroma forest plantation. Foreign varieties Pearl, Sana can also be found on sale. Sussi, Erntesegen and others.
Growing lingonberries in a personal plot
The desire to grow original plants has nothing to do with the area of the summer cottage. Even if there are lingonberry plantations nearby in the forest, it is difficult to stop the enthusiasm of the gardener. So the process of finding cuttings begins, preparing the site and growing plants for pleasure.
The expert advice on this matter is as follows:
- Soil selection. Lingonberry grows well on acidic peatlands. When preparing a place for it, it is best to remove the soil to a depth of 30 cm and fill it with high-moor peat. It is not necessary to form the beds. Manure or poultry droppings are not applied due to the high nitrogen content, which is harmful to young cuttings when they are planted. You can use only mineral fertilizers.
- Planting rooted cuttings. The seedlings are buried 5 cm, watered abundantly and mulched with peat or sawdust. Strong plants are obtained from root or stem cuttings, cut in early spring 10 cm long before the shoots regrowth. Rooting is carried out in separate greenhouses or simply in pots. For 2 years, the cuttings are grown without transplanting to the main place. And only after that, the seedlings, which will begin to bear fruit in the third year, can take their permanent place. The optimum distance between plants is 30 cm.
- Seed propagation of lingonberry. This type of plant cultivation is difficult and time consuming. But there are amateurs who are interested in it. Fruits on bushes are formed only in the sixth year. The seeds must go through a preliminary stratification process. They are not covered with earth. Seedlings emerge unevenly over 7 weeks, requiring a warm and humid environment.
- An important agrotechnical moment for caring for lingonberries is watering twice a week. Sometimes it can be done with acidified water. Top dressing with mineral fertilizers containing iron and magnesium responds well to the development of powerful lingonberry bushes.
Rabatki and flower beds, decorated with straight rows of lingonberries, are admirable. Unnoticeable among bright annuals or regal lilies, they surprise with their beauty at the right time. It seems that during flowering, the melodic ringing of their delicate bells is heard.
See how to grow lingonberries on 6 acres in the video: